Information System – What Is It, It Characteristics And Types
What is Information System?
An information system is a set of data that interacts with each other for a common purpose.
However, it helps to manage, collect, retrieve, process, store, and distribute relevant information for the fundamental processes and the particularities of each organization.
It’s importance lies in the efficiency in the correlation. However, large amount of data entered through processes designed for each area to produce valid information for subsequent decision making.
Characteristics of an Information System
An information system is characterized mainly by the efficiency. And also, it processes the data about the area of action. Therefore, the information systems fed with the processes and tools of statistics, probability, business intelligence, production, marketing, among others, to arrive at the best solution.
And Also, its stands out for its design, ease of use, flexibility, automatic record-keeping, support in critical decision-making, and maintaining.
Types of information systems
There are various types of information systems in the organizational culture, However, depending on the operational level at which they used.
Some of the most common systems are listed below:
- For data processing (TPS: Traditional processing system ): operational level, However, intended to process large volumes of information feeding large databases.
- Or an expert system based on knowledge (KWS: Knowledge working systems ) operating level selects the best solution to the problem presented.
- For administration and management (MIS: Management information systems ): administrative level manages and prepares periodic reports.
- For decision-making (DSS: Decision support systems ): strategic level, it stands out for its design and intelligence, therefore, allowing an adequate selection and implementation of projects.
- for executives (EIS: Executive information systems ): strategic level, Therefore, a customized system for each executive to see and analyze critical data.
- functional systems related to the organization’s internal processes: they form the basis of information systems for executives.
Some of the best known implemented for the needs of each area are:
- Marketing System (SIM)
- Production System (SIP)
- Financial system (SIF)
- Human resources system (HRIS)
- Management system (SDD)
- Geographic system (GIS)
- Legislative system (SIL)
Also Read: Artificial Intelligence